Organisational structureRead out
With a few exceptions, all German Studierendenwerke are public-law institutions (Anstalt des öffentlichen Rechts), i.e. primarily independent institutions performing public functions. The governing body (for Bavarian Studierendenwerke this is the Bavarian State Ministry of Science and the Arts) merely carries out legal supervision, but does not generally play a role in its administration, with the exception of BAföG enforcement.
The individual German Studierendenwerke/Studierendenwerke are autonomous institutions. There is no higher-level Studierendenwerk issuing directives. The German National Association for Student Affairs in Berlin (Deutsches Studierendenwerk / DSW) is the umbrella organisation for the German Studierendenwerke/Studierendenwerke. It organises courses and events and promotes communication and the exchange of experiences between the different German Studierendenwerke/Studierendenwerke. The DSW furthermore represents the interests of students regarding public matters as well as towards the federal and state governments.
The Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern is divided into six departments, supported by four administrative departments. The Director of the Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern, as its legal representative, is directly responsible for the success of the institution. The Director is appointed and supervised by both the Board of Representatives (Vertreterversammlung) and the Board of Administrators (Verwaltungsrat).
Student representation: The students are represented in the two controlling bodies, the Board of Representatives and the Board of Administrators, and thus also have a say in the Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern’s company policy.
List of all current members in the Board of Administrators and the Board of Representatives
The Board of Representatives is made up of:
- a member of the university management
- two professors
- two students of the university
- the university’s gender equality officer
- the university's officer for the disabled
The Board of Representatives has the following tasks:
- electing the Board of Administrators
- voting the Board of Administrators out of office
- receiving the Director’s annual report and annual statement of accounts
- receiving the report on basic questions regarding future management
The Studierendenwerk’s Board of Administrators is made up of:
- two persons from the circle of professors and members of university management
- two students
- a public figure
- a representative from the Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern's Staff Council
- a university’s gender equality officer
- a university's officer for the disabled
The Board of Administrators decides on:
- the budget
- the approval of the Director on the grounds of the inspected annual accounts statement
- appointing and dismissing the Director and their representative
- acquisition, encumbrance and alienation of real assets
- bylaws in accordance with Art. (3) and (4)