Financing, downloads & contact details

Read out and MP3 download   Read out

Kinderzuschlag (additional child benefit)

Parents can receive an additional child benefit if they earn enough money to provide for themselves, but their income is not or hardly sufficient to be enough for the entire family. On this page, you will find all the necessary information about the “Kinderzuschlag”.

At, the KiZ-Lotse can help you to quickly find out whether or not you are entitled to receive this additional child benefit.

Kindergeld (child benefit)

Click on this link to receive information regarding Kindergeld. Make sure to apply for Kindergeld in time as it is only possible to also receive the benefit for the last six months before applying for it.
Up-to-date information can be found at

Elterngeld (parental allowance)

More opportunities to work part-time as well as flexible partnership bonus

Parents can now work up to 32 hours per week part-time while receiving Elterngeld. The partnership bonus can now be received if both parents work 24 - 32 hours per week instead of, as it used to be, 25 - 30 hours per week. It can also be organized in a simpler and more flexible way. Parents used to have to apply for it 4 months in a row; now it is possible to receive it between 2 and 4 months. It is also possible to flexibly end it or prolong it at short notice.

Furthermore, receiving additional income such as short-time allowance or sick pay will, in future, not affect the amount of parental allowance and will thus no longer reduce it.


Parents of babies born prematurely receive additional months of Elterngeld

If a child is born at least six weeks before the due date, parents receive one additional month of basic parental allowance. If a child is born eight weeks before the due date, parents receive two additional months of basic parental allowance, in the case of twelve weeks three months and in the case of 16 weeks four months. The additional months of basic parental allowance can also be transformed into parental allowance plus, thus enabling parents to receive Elterngeld over a longer period of time. 


Simplifying administrative procedures and clarification

In future, it will be possible for parents with a small additional income from being self-employed to have their income taken into account in a more appropriate way for receiving Elterngeld. If their average additional self-employed income does not exceed 35 euros a month, parents can make an application that only their non-self-employed income in the last 12 calendar months before the child is born is taken into consideration when calculating the amount of Elterngeld. Up to now, their income in the calendar year before the child was born was, in general, used for the calculation. 


Adjustments to the income limit

In future, only parents who together earn at the most 300,000 euros a year are to receive Elterngeld. Up to now, the maximum amount for couples was 500,000 euros. For single parents, the income limit will remain at 250,000 euros.


Further details as well as specific examples can be found on the “Familienportal” of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ).

Here you can have a look at information for international parents.

Scholarships for successfully completing your studies with a child

Since the winter semester 2016/2017, the organisation Studentenhilfe München e.V. has been offering scholarships for successfully completing your studies with a child. The scholarship is specially designed for full-time student parents.

Studying and raising a child at the same time is not easy. For this reason, the organisation Studentenhilfe e.V. started a scholarship programme specifically for student parents in order to help them successfully complete their studies. In addition to monthly financial support for up to two semesters, scholarship students also receive professional advice from the Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern’s Advisory Service for Students Expecting or with a Child on all aspects of everyday student life. This way we want to make sure that there is nothing keeping you from successfully completing your studies.

Click here for more information about the scholarship.

Bayerisches Krippengeld (Bavarian childcare allowance)


  • the child is at least one year old
  • the child goes to a childcare centre sponsored according to the Bavarian Child Education and Care Act (BayKiBiG) (note: this applies to all childcare centres of our supporting association “Eltern-Kind-Initiativen e.V.”)
  • the parents pay fees for the childcare and food; these are not paid by public institutions (e.g. the Jugendamt)
  • the household income does not exceed 60,000 euros. For every further child for whom the parents receive Kindergeld, the income limit increases by 5,000 euros
  • the applicant is a person entitled to the care for the person of the child (usually the parents)

Amount of the Krippengeld:

  • max. 100 euros per child and month
  • if the childcare fee is less than this, the actual amount is paid

More information on the Bavarian Krippengeld can be found here. And here you can have a look at some English information.


The Studierendenwerk München Oberbayern provides advisory services on all matters concerning “studying with a child”.
More information can be found here.

Office hours:
You can contact us Thursdays from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. as well as Fridays from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.


The Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich offers an advisory service on all aspects regarding “studying with a child at the LMU Munich”. Click here for more information.


The Family Service at the TUM provides advice for students on how to successfully combine their family life with their studies at the TUM. Click here for more information

University of Applied Sciences Munich

Pregnant students and students with a child at the University of Applied Sciences Munich can turn to the “Familienbüro” for advice. More information can be found here.

Download fee regulations

More detailed information regarding booking times and fees can be found in our German fee regulations.